Here is what I need you to know.
1. Anxiety is not the same as fear. The problem is that my brain is sending fear signals all the time, even when nothing is wrong. When something actually is wrong, I go from high alert to overdrive. My body cannot handle it.
2. I am getting better. I need you to know that I am getting better. I am getting treatment because I believe I can get better and I need you to believe it too. Treatable means bearable. Treatable is the lifeline.
3. I am trying. Even when you can't tell.
4. It is in my head, but please don't say "just." Just trivializes it. It is in my head. You know what else is in my head? All my thoughts. Everything starts there. The decision to put one foot in front of the other happens in my head. In my head means it affects everything.
5.I am still me. The same me. I know you are having trouble seeing me and maybe you are afraid. I am. But I am still here.
6. This diagnosis is not a new thing, it is just naming the old thing in a way which makes it treatable. This is progress.
This is all still new and I have a lot to learn. And I am learning.