Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sarah's surgery went well.  She is in recovery now, and we are incredibly proud of her.

Her doctors are amazing.  We are very blessed to live close enough to this incredible hospital. 

We believe that she is a miracle, a gift and a blessing.  She is an amazing tiny little person. 

I spent my morning yesterday confused.  What kind of a mother does not feel anxiety while their two week old child goes in for a serious surgery?  I was not anxious.  I was not worried.  It was not that I was unaware of the risks of the surgery.  It was not that I did not care about the outcome.  I did trust the surgeon and his team, but I did not have an inflated confidence.  I knew she was likely to lose half, or more, of her blood.  I knew that removing pieces of bone from around her brain would be frightening under normal circumstances, and hers was complicated.  I felt no anxiety; no fear.  What kind of a mother does not experience fear?

I have asked for prayers for peace.  I can only say that, against the odds, those prayers were heard. 

The surgery went well, although she did lose a lot of blood.  The pressure was relieved, and even without any attempts at reconstruuction, she looks better.  Her forehead looks less painfully protruded and tight.  Where the fusing was most pronounced, her head has rounded out.  Her color is finally returning now- she is a pretty pink baby again!  Yesterday, after surgery, the only color I saw was in her angry little face.  I was sorry to see her so upset, but it was good to see she is still my strong fighter.  Her body was pale white- but as she demanded that someone address her headache, she kicked both legs, waved both arms, opened both eyes and yelled.  Her face turned temper tantrum red.  I tried not to laugh when she removed her turban style head covering, which protected her stiches.  I tried not to laugh, when she tried fought the wonderful nurses caring for her.  I was delighted to see my strong little fighter fighting.  Not so delighted, however, that I would resist the nurses who upped the pain meds.  She needed to rest and recover. 

Thank you for your continued prayers. 

1 comment:

  1. That's very sweet. I'm so glad the surgery went well. I'm thinking of you guys all the time.

    ReplyDelete